2008-02-20

New W960i World Generic 1 Firmware Available

A new W960i World Generic 1 firmware is now available from the Sony Ericsson website.

To install the new firmware you need to download SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) from the Sony Ericsson website but the new version will only install on World Generic 1 firmware versions of W960i phones.

If you have a firmware version that is customised by your mobile phone provider then you can also also use SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) to check if a new firmware version is available to update your customised firmware.

At the time of writing the firmware update will only install on World Generic 1 versions of the W960i and there is no update currently available for Vodafone users.

I will try to find out more information such as what new features and bug fixes are included and if it is possible or even suitable for flashing over the standard Vodafone customised firmware.

The new firmware does include a great new snowboarding game called SSX 3.

One problem that I can foresee is that Vodafone have probably customised their standard firmware and if I flash my W960i with a generic firmware then I will lose any Vodafone customised applications and features.

One good thing would be that the locked down bookmarks in the web browser would be blown away.

More details to follow...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with any upgrade that takes out the Vodafone default websites would be welcomed even if the firmware was untouched ( although a little more speed between apps would be welcome).

Love the web/blog site - very clear and has helped enormously - but how do you do the W960 screenshot dumps?

Warfield said...

Hi, thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you like the site.

I hate the locked shortcuts and think it is arrogant of Vodafone to force them on me. Shall we start a campaign?

The screen shots are made with a free SE app called Capurescreen.

zeus said...

Hi Warfield,
Your website is very useful and informative. Great site!

Do you any ideas if we are able to set certain sites as our homepage when we open the web browser?

Warfield said...

>>Do you any ideas if we are able to set certain sites as our homepage when we open the web browser?

Yes and no!

As far as I know the Web icon in Main Menu always starts the web browser with your homepage which is locked by Vodafone to http://live.vodafone.com

Similarly the Standby screen contains a shortcut which maps to Application->Web which will always load your homepage.

However the good news is that you can add/replace icons to the Standby screen and if you choose Shortcut to Web page then you can enter any web page address.

Anonymous said...

Haha! omg warfield you are so smart. you must have spent hell lotsa time on your w960i. do you by chance have any idea how we can actually view online media streaming? e.g youtube? I tried, but it says either i had my java script turned off or i do not have the latest adobe flash player.

p.s i am zeus aka onuris21 from esato forum. =)

Warfield said...

In general I don't watch live video streaming because I'm worried about blowing my monthly data allowance.

The W960i is very particular about what kind of .mp4 file it will play so I don't expect most live streaming to work.

I do convert video files to .mp4 using PSP Video 9 and then copy the converted file to my W960i using USB and I haven't found a movie that I can't convert and play in this way.

The live video streaming that I do watch Vodafone Mobile TV but this is a special case because it costs a £10 per month flat fee to watch 50 channels and doesn't use up my monthly data allowance.

Anonymous said...

The new firmware was out as soon as I got my phone - So i'm not quite sure if this was part of the old firmware, but i've noticed the following.
.
I think I read somewhere that the phone/screen can be locked by keeping the back button pressed. Now to unlock it, you key in * and then press the unlock button on the screen. I've noticed that you can just keep the back button pressed to unlock the phone too - not sure if this was there before - but thought i'd mentioned it anyway.

N

Anonymous said...

by phone/screen I meant keypad - not obvious from my post :)

N

Warfield said...

>>phone/screen can be locked by keeping the back button pressed.

Yep, I do that too to lock and unlock. Sometimes I forget but so far I haven't called anyone while my phone was in my pocket.

Anonymous said...

Warefield,

New Voda Uk firmware now available. Can't see much difference exceppt better use of the "C" delete key. Your expert eye might see more though. Great site. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Am Marvin, Zambia.

i mastered reset my w960i and had my favourite ssx3 deleted, i still feel very sad. for have tried to download it from assorted web, but nothing just like chasing the wind.
I don't know what to do please help me.