2008-02-19

W960i Web User Guide Found!

The user guide booklet provided with my W960i was the generic Sony Ericsson offering with no Vodafone customisation. The standard user guide is useful up to a point but it really only gives vague indications of what can be archived and how it is done and certainly does not qualify as a user manual.

One comment near the beginning of the user guide states that an PC version of the user guide is available at http://www.sonyericsson.com/support and additionally I should be able to access the web guide from my phone by following Main Menu -> Web -> More -> View -> Bookmarks -> Web Guide. Unfortunately Vodafone seems to have omitted this link from my W960i.

W960i Web Guide on my PC
W960i Web Guide on my PC...

I finally managed to track down the PC version of the W960i Web Guide which is located at http://www.sonyericsson.com/webguide/w960i/pc/en/.

The online guide is not identical to the printed user guide but I'm not sure if it is much more use. My main criticism is that none of the user guides from Sony Ericsson or Vodafone contain any meaningful help for the UIQ 3.0 user interface let alone useful examples and screen shots. Still if you find you are lost with UIQ 3.0 then this site should set you on the correct path.

I tried to load the W960i Web Guide in my W960i phone using Opera and Opera Mini but the online guide uses a heavy javascript menu and exercise was not very satisfactory. Trust Sony Ericsson to write an online user guide for a mobile phone which can't be read on a mobile phone.

Perhaps there is a mobile version of the user guide which I haven't found yet. If know of one then please let me know.

No comments: