2008-02-14

Using USB To Charge My W960i

If I'm not careful I can run down the battery on my W960 in less than a working day and if I'm not going straight home after work then there is a serious possibility of completely discharging the battery.

To combat this problem I now take a USB cable to work and as my PC at work has some front facing USB ports it is no problem to plug in during the day and using a USB cable saves me having to carry a power supply adapter around.

There are however a couple of issues with USB charging.

1. If the W960i is plugged in to a new PC then it will not charge using the USB cable until the Sony Ericsson drivers are installed on the PC. The good news is that you don't have to carry your installer CD around with you because the Windows New Hardware wizard will automatically download the drivers from the Internet and once installed on the PC the W960i will start charging. The downside is that sometimes the owner of the PC may not be too happy for me to be installing unknown drivers downloaded from the Internet and of course the PC needs to be connected to the Internet.

2. Charging with the AC adapter is very rapid but charging the W960i using USB is so damn slow.

I don't know if other Sony Ericsson smartphones such as P1i, W950i, P990i and M600i charge using USB with or without drivers.

No comments: