2008-02-09

My Vodafone Logon Failed Problem

Since writing this article I have discovered that the cause of my failed login was having Exchange ActiveSync running in the background. See My Vodafone Logon Problem Is Fixed

I have a major "Logon Failed" problem when I use my Vodafone 3G data connection with my Sony Ericsson W960i.

Typically I am browsing the web using Opera Mini or watching Mobile TV and every few minutes I get a connection failure.

If I check my network status by selecting the signal strength icon on the status bar of my W960i then the error message displayed is Vodafone UK, 3G: Attached (Logon failed).

It is extremely annoying to get this error because it indicates that I have got a successful 3G connection and the actual problem is failing to logon to the Vodafone network. Obviously this is not the sort of logon where I an required to type in a username and password because I have a Vodafone contract so my W960i should always logon automatically. Only Vodafone can say why this problem is occurring.

I have discovered that I can temporarily resolve the problem by switching to Flight Mode and then back to Phone Mode which causes my W960i to retry the logon to the Vodafone network.

The screen shot above shows the desired result which is Phone Mode with 3G: Attached and successfully a successful logon to the Vodafone network.

This explanation applies to the Sony Ericsson W960i and it probably applies also to other Symbian UIQ 3.0 smartphones such as P1i, W950i, P990i and M600i.

Post your comments here if you you have problems with your logon to the Vodafone network.

No comments: