2008-02-17

Is My W960i Screen Scratchproof

I am not particularly paranoid about keeping my gadgets in perfect condition. After all my W960i phone is a tool that is meant to be used and enjoyed.


The W960i touch screen is not scratch proof...

The screen on my Sony Ericsson W960i Smartphone is made from a polycarbonate material and the screen is flush to the front of the phone. The advantage of a flush screen is that it is easier to use the touch screen with fat fingers but a disadvantage is that the screen is more prone to damage.

I have now been using my W960i for just over a month and although the touch screen polishes up beautifully I can just see some tiny nicks in the surface when the light is reflected in just the right way. I am however pleased to report that there are no actual scratches on the touch screen. By the way, I don't keep change or keys in my phone pocket.

Stylus Trails

After a period of use and especially after using handwriting recognition it is possible to see faint stylus trails across the touch screen. The good news is that these trails are not permanent and they soon disappear when the screen is wiped across the front of my t-shirt.

Screen Protector

When my Sony Ericsson W960i was supplied it did not have a screen protector and as far as I know from reading various on-line message boards it is standard that the W960i is not supplied with a screen protector so if yours doesn't have one then it is not an indication that yours is a pre-owned phone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, are you talking about the typical plastic tear away sheet that is usually found on the screen of a new phone? I guess, so..... When I opened up my box, I thought the same thing - but the phone looked to be in pretty good condition - so i shrugged it off..

N

Warfield said...

One reason that a W960i might appear to be pre-owned is that that in order for the Vodafone firmware to be loaded someone had to use the phone...

Unknown said...

its just plastic that you should remove after buying it, otherwise it will look bad, but there are screen protectors you can buy and stores themselves will apply it in your phone, i had it when i saw a scratch in my w960i, to prevent it again from happening, i bought a screen protector, works great and feels like you are using the same screen as your original w960, i have it already for 1 year 9mo now and sticks very well until now.